TerraCycle’s mission is to Eliminate the idea of Waste®.
Operating in over 21 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific, TerraCycle is a global innovator in green business. It partners with many of the world’s largest consumer product companies and retailers to create collection and recycling solutions for hundreds of traditionally non-recyclable waste streams. By working with companies, retailers, governments and consumers, TerraCycle is able to collect and solve for just about every waste stream, from snack wrappers and contact lenses to ocean plastics and cigarette butts, all waste streams that otherwise end up in landfills, oceans, or incinerators. TerraCycle has received hundreds of awards globally and has been highlighted in some of the world's most recognized media outlets, including CNN, Wall St. Journal, Reuters.com New York Times, Forbes and thousands of others.
In May 2019, TerraCycle launched its newest initiative, Loop, a global circular shopping system that enables brands, retailers and consumers to transition from single-use disposable materials to reusable, durable packaging, washed by Loop and refilled by the brands. Loop has engaged many of the world's largest consumer product companies (including P&G, Nestlé, Unilever, PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, and Mondelez) and many of the world’s largest retailers in this platform. Loop is currently available in the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern U.S, and the greater Paris region in France, with plans to expand into several new markets including Canada, Japan, the UK and Germany in 2021.
Director, Technology Lead is a key leader in the Terracycle Incubation team, reporting to the VP of Incubation and New Business Ventures.
The Technology Lead is responsible for architecting and piloting (building PoC-s/MVP-s) new platforms, with experience in creating solutions from scratch. Together with other members of the TerraCycle’s Incubator management team, the Technology Lead will be responsible for building out high-potential concepts from start to scale.
- Work with Incubator General Manager to identify new opportunities and define goals
- Requirement engineering and risk management
- Assess technical feasibility, estimate cost and plan the development of new projects
- Lead prototyping and development projects, work with business analysts, architects, UI/UX designers, developers and testers
- Validate technologies, platforms and vendors (Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Heroku and AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure)
- Build prototypes (e.g. Shopify, PostgreSQL, REST APIs)
- Create UI/UX wireframes and click-dummies
- Work on multiple projects in parallel
- Meet milestones, deliver projects within budget on time
- Define role descriptions, interview candidates for open positions
- Hands-on type
- Shopify Liquid experience
- Scalable cloud applications with web and mobile frontends (GCP, AWS, Heroku, Azure)
- Relational databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle), SQL and GraphQL
- REST APIs
- Mobile Apps (Android & Kotlin, iOS and SwiftUI)
- Agile software development methodologies (SCRUM and Kanban)
- Version control (git)
- Continuous integration, continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Collaboration tools (Jira, Confluence or Wrike)
- Leadership - Overseeing the development of a project and coordinating teams of developers to meet design standards requires significant leadership. The Incubator Tech Lead must be able to juggle the needs and demands of projects and teams.
- Problem-Solving & Conflict Resolution - Managing and coordinating all of the elements that go into a successful application project requires strong problem-solving skills – both technical and human.
- Communication - Communication is a key ingredient in any leadership position. To get the best of teams, the Incubator Tech Lead must clearly explain the mission, deadlines, and expectations.
- Coaching & Inspiration - If expectations aren’t being met, leaders have to coach and inspire team members to achieve.
- Organization - Since the Incubator Tech Lead sets the roadmap for development, being organized is key. Often large-scale and intricate UML diagrams are necessary, which requires a systematic and organized way of thinking.
- Prioritizing - The Incubator Tech Lead needs to quickly prioritize tasks and juggle team members' assignments throughout a product’s development.
- Detailed Thinking - In any development project, there are a significant number of details that must be managed correctly. This requires extreme attention to detail to make sure the project code meets objectives.
- Creative Thinking - The Incubator Tech Lead has to move teams forward to accomplish a build regardless of the obstacles. This takes the ability to think creatively to find alternate solutions or creative ways to solve problems.
- IT BSC or MSC
- 8+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years E-comm experience
- Competitive salary
- Modern and cozy, eco-conscious office in a central location
- Conference support, In-house training, Training contribution
- Great team spirit & supportive environment
- Beverages, Coffee & Fruit-day
Job description is not all-inclusive. TerraCycle reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. TerraCycle is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All applicants must already have the eligibility to work in Hungary.
TerraCycle is committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion.